- Dish type
- Starters with cheese
Tender asparagus spears are rolled in prosciutto and cheese, and topped with a crunchy breadcrumb and cheese crust. I recommend using pencil-thin asparagus.
98 people made this
- 500g fresh green asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 slices Gruyere cheese
- 5 slices prosciutto
- ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 120g dried seasoned breadcrumbs
- 40g grated Parmesan cheese
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:30min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Lower asparagus into the water, and cook for 1 minute, or 2 minutes if the spears are thick.
- Lay one slice of prosciutto on a plate. Layer a slice of cheese on top of the slice of prosciutto. Place 3 to 4 asparagus spears at one end of the cheese and prosciutto, and sprinkle with black pepper to taste. Roll the cheese and meat up over the asparagus, and secure with a skewer. Place asparagus rolls in a baking dish. Once all of the asparagus rolls have been arranged in the dish, pour melted butter over the entire dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crumb mixture has formed a crust over the asparagus rolls.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(105)
Reviews in English (83)
This recipe is very good, but doesn't travel so well. If you are taking it to a dinner, you may want to prepare everything ahead but add bread crumbs and bake at your destination. Otherwise, the dish can come out a little dry if left to sit. The bread crumbs can absorb much of the moisture; however, the flavor is great! I will be making this again.-23 Jul 2002
My Italian mother and I loved it -- my Irish husband did not. The prosciutto andswiss are strong flavors to blend together. Also, blanch the asparagus well if youdon't like it crisp (it doesn't cook much in the oven). We had it for a second course,but it would work as an appetizer on its own. Not as a side dish, though.-07 Apr 2002